Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Following good advice: my best twelve

Honestly, I more often feel moved to give advice than take it, but recently a photographer (the incomparably nice and talented Kyle Cassidy) I admire wrote an excellent list of suggestions for those aiming to become serious/professional about their photographic work. While my aims do not ever include making a living through photography, I do want to constantly and consistently improve.

One piece of advice struck me as really interesting.

"4) Make a portfolio of your 12 best photos. these can be 4x6 1 hour prints. Every month try and replace at least one of these with a better photo. Do this for the rest of your life."*

So, I'm now sharing my first portfolio of my twelve best.

























The goal is to be able to replace one of these with a photo I like more by July 16th.


*for those that are interested. Here's a link to the rest of his good advice.

6 comments:

  1. Love the idea and the concept behind it of continuing to challenge oneself. Particularly love the photo of Sarah Noe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious what your thinking was about including #6.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ninniane- I really like where the sharpest focus falls, and the hyperspecificity of it. The warm colors and non square shapes also please me. I hope you make a 12 best, I think you could do a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all wonderful. The picture of Rebecca prompted a delighted and surprised sound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete